About Chalton Village Hall

The village of Chalton, Bedfordshire,  is a small thriving rural community approximately one and a half miles south of junction 12 of the M1 and has a population of just over 450. Chalton has a flourishing village school, a traditional country pub and at the heart of all this is the village hall, which dates back to 1561. The hall is situated in attractive grounds with quiet and expansive surroundings.

It is a remarkable historic building with magnificent oak beams. The hall has undergone extensive renovations which are ongoing due to its age. It has recently been redecorated both inside and out, with the addition of modern facilities. The hall is situated in comfortable surroundings and provides ample parking.

The village hall association is a non profit making charity run by unpaid volunteers – all proceeds going towards the upkeep of the hall. The hall is there for the benefit of the village and wider community. We are always looking for volunteers, so if you feel you can help then please contact us!

History of Chalton Village Hall

Chalton Village hall was built in 1561. It was originally part of Gostelow House, of traditional construction for the period, consisting of half-timbered walls with brick infilling. It is known as the Tythe Barn.

At the turn of the century it formed part of a chicken farm and in the late 50’s the adjoining cottage was inhabited. Ownership of the barn and accompanying land was transferred to Leslie Sell who had a passionate interest in the Scouting Movement.

Leslie Sell gave the barn and land to the Scout Movement, hence the local name “Scout Field”. In 1985, the Scout Movement relinquished the use of both the barn and land. The Leslie Sell Trust offered the use of the property to the village.

Planning applications were made for the renovation of the property in order that it could be used as a village hall. As it is a listed building, little could be changed on the outside, but the cottage and barn were converted internally so that toilets, kitchen, committee rooms and balcony are available.

The trustees of the village hall took the lease and are acutely aware of the conditions which restrict the use and in turn ensure that repairs and maintenance are carried in such a way that the character of the building is retained.

Get In Touch With Us!

Phone

Alison Williams – 07596 745775
Jane Baker – 07895 497531

Address

Chalton Village Hall,
Water End Lane,
Chalton,
Luton,
Bedfordshire,
LU4 9UL.